Pakalista Berg and I were looking for a quiet, “ambiancy”, and most of all a detached or stand-alone (not inside a mall) Cebu restaurant where we can have a quick business meeting and at the same time enjoy good food.
Cafe Georg restaurant in Banilad Cebu City fits the description perfectly.
Cafe Georg is owned by the young and gutsy entrepreneur Ms. Silvia Ludo-Alcordo. It initially started with the idea of putting up a coffee and dessert shop. And so Oh! Georg came into existence which ultimately became a coffee and dessert shop that serves light snacks as well.
I can still remember my first experience of Oh! Georg not so long ago when I was in high school. Oh! Georg was already a splurge for me considering my very limited “baon”. I remember sharing an unforgettable beef lasagna, a clubhouse sandwich, and an oreo cheesecake with some friends. It was the most expensive slice of sinful cake I tasted back then (I think it was Php 70.00).
With the success of Oh! Georg in Ayala Center Cebu, it was just about time that a bigger restaurant was opened in the family-owned property in Banilad. And so Cafe Georg was born.
Here’s what we had at Cafe Georg…
Cafe Georg Appetizer: Beef Quesadilla – Php 180
- Berg loves Cafe Georg’s version of the beef quesadillas
- The salsa was cold and not as “saucy” than the usual but still tasted good because it was a bit spicy.
- It somehow lacked the “cheesy” factor to it that I usually look for in a quesadilla
- This quesadilla was just OK for me because I can really savor the beef
- Tara’s Cafe and Restaurant still serves the best quesadillas in my opinion
Cafe Georg: Neapolitan Fish – Php 220
- Soft and fluffy inside but crunchy outside
- Fish was served fresh because Berg did not have any allergies
- It had a subtle lemon taste
- Berg says it’s better than the fish he tried at Jose Marias but the Fish Fillet ‘n Salsa Pomodoro in Ambassador’s Cafe was still better
Cafe Georg: Hickory Ribs – Php 210
- Not bad but nothing surprising
- A safe choice if you don’t want to taste something extraordinary that you might regret latter
- Definitely what you would expect from a HIckory Smoked Ribs
Cafe Georg: Banana Oreo and Mango Magic Shake – Php 65
- No complains from Berg on the Banana Oreo Shake
- Cafe Georg’s Mango Magic Shake is among the well blended mango shakes out there – not to sugary sweet and not too much ice
I think you’ll love Cafe Georg because:
- The price is right – not too expensive
- It is not inside a mall
- It has adequate parking space
- It has separate smoking and non-smoking areas
- It has a homey and relaxed atmosphere
- It has a wide menu selection from entrees, main courses, desserts, shakes, coffee, and tea
- The place can accommodate a large group of people perfect for family gatherings and business meetings
Address: Banilad road Cebu City, near Cebu Country Club
Contact person: Ms. Silvia Ludo-Alcordo – General Manager
Photo credits: Fedge